28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Monday, April 18, 2011

For My Eye Doctor



After going through a "rough bit" along the road of life my vision is still improving. I've been trying to visually document my progress for my opthaneurologist as I go along. It's one thing to tell someone how I see things and another to show them an illustration. So. . . I did two illustrations --both views of my bedroom, the first how I think it would look with normal vision, and the second one trying to show how the graininess that I see actually looks when I see things. Please note that, joyously, the view out my window into the natural light is almost normal. I can see the branches against the sky and the bark on the trees. I'm wrestling with artificial light, but, slowly, that is improving also. It's been three years since I went nearly blind from bilateral optic nerve atrophy, and I'm grateful every day for the progress I've made. I hope somehow my illustrations will help someone or their families or doctors through a nightmarish time.

11 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful way to convey what you experience to others!

    An artist friend of mine had a detached retina a few years ago; he did small watercolors, about 12 to a page, of his progress, illustrating the "floaters" and other visual oddities. They are such a great document of what it is like, great to share with other patients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Vicky; as it is said, a picture is worth a thousand words. What a gift to be able to show your doctor what you see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also a courageous way to deal with the problem. Hoping there is continued improvement for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a scary place to be for normal folk but for an artist...
    I will keep you in my prayer for continued improvement and a successful recovery. Hang in there...you're doing great! Your paintings are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to be able to show the doctor the different ways that you are seeing over time. And what a comfort these pictures will be for his other patients. You are such a creative lady and you have so much courage. Hope and prayers for better and better vision.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the others on this feedback. Wish you all the best, your paintings are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy, I wish you continued success on your way to improved vision. I think these illustrations will give hope to people. Roz

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an incredible use of an artist's eye--a way of seeing that is so attuned to the subtlest detail--to give your doctor and others valuable information with which to help you (and others) regain your sight. How creative and courageous, indeed. Keep on painting, and never give up hope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower.
    I invite you to visit and follow my blog.

    God bless and have a nice Easter :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, Sandy! I had no idea. What a gift to be able to show your eye doctor your progress. What a gift for others suffering vision problems that they may use your illustrations to show their doctors! Wishing you continued progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your painting above can inspire many eye patients to be very optimistic of the possibility that they may someday regain their clear eyesight. Your eye doctor must be very happy to have helped another patient get good eyesight again.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...