28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quick Snow Sketching

A couple of days in snowy mountains for someone usually sketching in sunny California is a big change. All of a sudden my trusty purple ballpoint pen is not working, water is almost freezing in my brushpen, hands are cold even in my gloves and I get almost waist-deep in snow trying to find a better angle ;) So as a result - I draw very quickly in tiny soft-covered moleskine with staedtler pigment liner and use quickest washes ever and add notes for additional color to finish these in a warm place - after I tape them in my current journal. Then I add more notes and drawings of the "treasures" my little sketching companion collected for me :)

Feb. 2011: Little Skiing Vacation - 2

Feb. 2011: Little Skiing Vacation - 2

Feb. 2011: Little Skiing Vacation - 2

6 comments:

  1. Marvelous, Nina, it's fascinating that your pen froze. (And I've had that happen with waterbrushes, too!) Very effective taping the pages in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr. But I guess I didn't have to tell you that. Glad you were able to capture your snowy adventure in your sketchbook. You're a brave soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the livliness of these sketches - they remind me of Laurelines sketches :0)
    My favorite is the child with the snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, sketching in the cold. I can remember chilling myself to the bone and drawing a grizzly feeding on her kill. I kept switching between two ball point pens. I'd tuck one up my sleeve for it to warm up while I sketched with the other until I needed to switch again. My fingers still ache just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little companion reminds me of Paddington Bear!! Great sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you all for wonderful comments!
    Elva - putting a second pen up my sleeve is a great idea - I must try!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...